Sunday, December 6, 2009

Silverton

  • Rode out 26km to Silverton Friday only to find the camping ground closed. This was great as I could camp outside the deserted park for free.

  • Toured the old buildings that feature in a lot of movies. The best was the Silverton gaol, a museum both with the friendliest staff and some amazing artefacts of daily life in the early 1900's. I noticed in the old photographs how well people dressed and I wondered how this great age of progress of ours has led us all to be wearing paper-thin rags that guarantee a skin cancer or two on your back.

  • Perhaps the impact of the gaol caused me to interpret the typically strange noises of the bush at night strangely. A ghost of a prisoner heaving his ball and chain in the darkness outside my tent was really just a stray dog dragging a broken chain along and having a sniff of my bags for food.

  • Saw the country where Mad Max 2 was filmed, brilliant riding through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment