Sunday, December 13, 2009

Journey Completed! Pooncarie to Wentworth - 118km

    • I departed Pooncarie about 9:30am excited about reaching my destination, and enjoyed the sealed road. However, a mighty headwind was also straining my legs. I got hot and nauseous with about 40 kilometres to go, and after lying down for an hour under a shady tree, rose to find my rear tyre was flat. With no brand new tubes left, I checked the flat tube for a hole but could not find one or hear one in the obstinate, hurtling wind. I simply pumped up the tube and it stayed firm. I rode on for another 10 kilometres until the tube suddenly went flat again.

    • Sick and hot, I sat down on the side of the road and pulled out an old spare tube to inspect it. I thought this old tube had gone flat because of valve failure, so I darkly thought I would need a lift. Luckily, I found a tiny hole, only because it was right near the valve and was blowing on my face as I pumped up the tube! I patched this hole up and was away again at dusk.

    • I rode into Wentworth singing some of my favourite 80's songs of triumph such as 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet and 'Final Countdown'. I also thought about the cross-eyed gorillas in the bar of the Mulga Creek Hotel who muttered I was 'F'n Mad!' with pure contempt.
    • As I rolled into the caravan park in Wentworth, a feeling of final exhaustion quietly phased into a teeming elation and later a serene resolve, invincible against anything.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment